Christmas recycling and refuse information 2017/2018
During the festive period, recycling and refuse collections may take place on different days so Ashford Borough Council is letting residents know about the changes.
Check the calendar below, and read on for tips on how to recycle more this Christmas and find out how you can recycle your Christmas tree.
Download the Christmas Refuse and Recycling Collection leaflet [pdf] 2139KB
Normal collections resume on Monday 15 January.
All refuse and recycling should be out for collection by 6am over Christmas and New Year. Please note collections may take place up to one day later than shown, with possible extra collections on Saturdays.
Garden waste Christmas bin collections
There will be NO garden or bulk collections for two weeks - week commencing 25 December 2017 and week commencing 1 January 2018.
Find out more about garden waste recycling.
When's my collection day?
If you're unsure when your bins will be emptied, you can lookup your bin collection day and also download your collection calendars.
Recycling tips and advice
Not sure which festive items go in what bin? Check our handy guide below
Green recycling bin
- Christmas cards
- Cardboard boxes
- Paper wrapping paper
- Tin foil and foil serving trays
- Champagne, wine and beer bottles/cans
- Soft drink containers
- Sweet tins
Grey refuse bin
- Bubble wrap, plastic packaging
- Broken decorations
- Foil wrapping paper
*Visit www.lovefoodhatewaste.com for handy recipes for those festive leftovers!
- Don’t use plastic bags in your green or brown bins
- Your bin lids must close completely and bin straps must be removed before collection day
- Dark plastic food trays, crisp packets and plastic/carrier bags should be placed in your grey refuse bin
- Please place sanitary waste in your grey refuse bin
- Food waste packaging should be emptied of its contents and rinsed before placing in your green recycling bin
- We cannot collect any side refuse next to your grey bin – make sure you are recycling everything you can
Put those broken Christmas lights or any electrical decorations or items in a plastic carrier bag on top of your refuse bin, and we will take them away!
Ashford’s household waste and recycling centre in Brunswick Road, Cobbs Wood Industrial Estate will be open every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
Christmas tree recycling
If you aren’t keeping your living tree, please take it to Ashford’s Household Waste and Recycling Centre in Cobbs Wood Industrial Estate for recycling.
If you subscribe to our garden recycling service, you can place your cut up tree in your brown wheeled bin and we will collect it.
Find out more and sign up to our garden recycling collection service.